Silver Dew Winery
The tiny and historic Silver Dew Winery is located in an unassuming building that dates all the way back to 1883. The building was originally constructed as what was known back then as a “wick house”. Wick houses were used as a place to store oil, wicks, and even the lamp for the nearby Bloody Point Lighthouse.
In the mid-1900’s this Daufuskie Island icon was converted to a winery by Arthur “Papy” Burn. Papy loved Daufuskie Island and his home. He began making wine from grapes, scuppernong, pears, elderberries and other fruit in this tiny shed in the early 50’s. Locals soon dubbed the old wick house the Silver Dew Winery. The first mention of Silver Dew was when South Carolina author Pat Conroy wrote about it in his Low Country novel, The Water is Wide in 1972.